We have talked a lot about tortillas, from their ancient origins, to their role in space exploration. But can tortillas be frozen? In this blog post, we answer this question and offer some useful tips on how to store your tortillas.
Can Tortillas Be Frozen?
Most Mexicans don’t need to freeze their tortillas because they have fresh tortillas available 365 days a year.
However, this isn’t always the case in all places. If you don’t have a tortilleria nearby, it’s natural to ask yourself whether tortillas can be frozen so you can enjoy them at a later date.
The short answer is yes, like most foods, tortillas can be frozen. Here’s what you need to do:
- Tortillas tend to stick together even when they’re warm, so make sure to separate the tortillas you want to freeze
- Place pieces of parchment paper between each tortilla so that they don’t stick together when you freeze them.
- Place the tortillas in a zip-top bag, squeeze all air out of the bag, and store it in the freezer.
- Remember that tortillas keep in the freezer for about a month.
- As an additional tip, labeling the bag with the freezing date will help you remember when it’s time to defrost your tortillas
- To defrost your tortillas, place them on a comal (a flat griddle), leave them in the fridge overnight, or put them in the microwave for 30 seconds with the oven set to “defrost.”
Finally, remember that tortillas are extremely versatile. Sure, tacos are the most popular way to use tortillas. But if your tortillas have been in the freezer for a month and you don’t have the ingredients for tacos, you can cut them into triangles, fry them and make some tasty homemade nachos.
Another alternative is to cut them into triangles or stripes and fry them to make your own chilaquiles. As all Mexican knows, there’s never a dull moment in the kitchen when you have tortillas!
El Pollo Norteño: Authentic Mexican Food
Looking for authentic Mexican food? Contact El Pollo Norteno today! From chicken grilled over real mesquite charcoal to chicken tacos, burritos, and everything in between, we have delicious options to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters.
Visit any of our four locations (Anaheim, Santa Ana, and Garden Grove), order online, get in touch through Facebook, or call 866-MI-POLLO to enjoy our authentic Mexican dishes: amazing chicken grilled to perfection over real Mesquite charcoal, caldo de pollo, flan, carnitas, carne asada, and more!