Carnitas is one of the most flavorful Mexican dishes. But as we will see today, in addition to being delicious, carnitas also boasts a rich history filled with interesting facts.
4 Interesting Facts About Carnitas
- Unlike tacos or beans, carnitas wasn’t part of the diet of ancient Mexicans. The reason is that pork was brought to Mexico by the Spanish colonialists only in the 16th century. However, it didn’t take long for this new type of meat to earn its place on the tables of Mexicans of all backgrounds.
- According to projections, Mexico is the eighth producer of pork worldwide, as of April 2021. The Mexican states that produce the most pork are Michoacán, Jalisco, the State of Mexico, and Mexico City. According to the Mexican government, most of the pork produced in the State of Mexico is destined for carnitas.
- There are a couple of places in Mexico that are synonymous with carnitas. One of them is Quiroga, Michoacan (west-central Mexico), known as the “World Capital of Carnitas,” because legend has it that the original recipe for carnitas was created there. The other place is Santa Clara del Cobre (Saint Clare of the Copper) because that’s where the big copper cauldrons (cazos in Spanish) used to make carnitas are manufactured.
- The process of making carnitas is not unique to Mexico. This cooking method is called confit (or confitado in Spanish) and consists in cooking meat very slowly in grease, oil, or sugar water. The main advantage of confit is that it helps preserve meat, but it also confers it a crunchy, sweet-salty exterior that’s just irresistible, as any carnitas aficionado can attest.
More Interesting Facts About Mexican Food
We love all the curious facts that surround authentic Mexican food. If you are hungry for more stories, then check out these previous posts:
- 8 Interesting facts about tacos
- What is the best taco topping?
- 5 Words Mexicans use to talk about food
- Why are refried beans called like that?
- Why Are chili peppers so important in Mexican cuisine
Enjoy Authentic Carnitas at El Pollo Norteño!
If what you want is Authentic Carnitas in Anaheim, Santa Ana, or Garden Grove, El Pollo Norteño is the place to go.
Visit today any of our four locations (Anaheim, Santa Ana, and Garden Grove), order online, get in touch through Facebook, or call 866-MI-POLLO to enjoy our authentic Mexican dishes: amazing chicken grilled to perfection over real Mesquite charcoal, caldo de pollo, flan, carnitas, carne asada, and more!