In addition to being delicious, tacos also boast a rich history. From their origins in the Aztec empire to their success as space food, here are eight facts about tacos you probably didn’t know.
- According to historical records, taquerías (taco places) date back to the 19th century. Originally, they were small stands and later evolved into the restaurant-type establishments we know today.
- Back then, tacos were considered poor people’s food. Wealthy Mexicans didn’t eat tortillas; they preferred bread, as the European tradition dictates.
- We don’t know for sure who invented tacos. Chances are that the idea of filling a tortilla with beans or meat is as old as tortillas themselves, which means that the origins of tacos should be traced back to the Aztec empire.
- The Mexican Department of Agriculture estimates that there are over 20,000 different taco recipes—an entire world of flavors waiting to be discovered!
- Both Mexico and the United States have a National Taco Day. Mexico celebrates tacos on March 31, while the United States does it on October 4.
- The French have created their own version of tacos, which have very little to do with Mexican tacos. While the French also use a flour tortilla, their version of tacos would be better described as a grilled burrito.
- Did you know that tacos are great space food? Just like rich Mexicans from the 19th century, NASA preferred bread, but the crumbs cause an unmanageable mess in a zero-gravity environment. Things changed in the mid-1980s, when NASA discovered tortillas thanks to Rodolfo Neri Vela, the first Mexican astronaut. Since then, tortillas have become part of the food that astronauts consume during their missions.
More Interesting Facts About Mexican Food
We love all the curious facts that surround authentic Mexican food. If you are hungry for more stories, then check out these previous posts:
- What is the best taco topping?
- 5 Words Mexicans use to talk about food
- Why are refried beans called like that?
- Why Are chili peppers so important in Mexican cuisine
- Who invented guacamole?
Enjoy Authentic Mexican Food at El Pollo Norteño!
If what you want is Authentic Mexican food in Anaheim, California, El Pollo Norteño is the place to go.
Visit today any of our four locations (Anaheim, Santa Ana, and Garden Grove), order online, get in touch through Facebook, or call 866-MI-POLLO to enjoy our authentic Mexican dishes: amazing chicken grilled to perfection over real Mesquite charcoal, caldo de pollo, flan, carnitas, carne asada, and more!