Birria is a hot internet sensation nowadays, but it’s steeped in the history of Jalisco and Mexico. From its origin as an animal population control method to its unlikely rise to fame, here are five interesting facts about birria.
Some Interesting Facts About Birria
- Birria was born as a solution to a problem: the growing population of stray goats that wreaked havoc on the fields of the state of Jalisco, in west-central Mexico.
- Not only do different states in Mexico have their own version of birria, but every “municipio” in Jalisco boasts its own birria style. Ameca, Zacoalco, San Pedro Tlaquepaque, Ameca, Guadalajara, and Sayula have their own way of preparing birria. That’s at least six birria styles without even leaving Jalisco!
- In Jalisco, the most prized birria is made in San Pedro Tlaquepaque, near Guadalajara. In Guadalajara itself a whole neighborhood has built its fame on delicious birria: it’s called “Las Nueve Esquinas” (The Nine Corners) and it’s a must for birria lovers visiting Guadalajara.
- Spices are the soul of birria. The specific combination varies according to the region, but some ingredients used often include ginger, clove, cinnamon, oregano, cumin, pepper, as well as many varieties of peppers.
- As birria was adopted in other states, the recipe began to evolve. The most notable difference is that nowadays beef is the meat of choice to make birria in the United States, where this traditional dish has become an unlikely social media sensation.
More Interesting Facts About Mexican Food
We love all the curious facts that surround authentic Mexican food. If you are hungry for more stories, then check out these previous posts:
- 8 Interesting facts about tacos
- What is the best taco topping?
- 5 Words Mexicans use to talk about food
- Why are refried beans called like that?
- Why Are chili peppers so important in Mexican cuisine
Enjoy Authentic Birria at El Pollo Norteño!
If what you want is Authentic Mexican food in Anaheim, California, El Pollo Norteño is the place to go.
Visit today any of our four locations (Anaheim, Santa Ana, and Garden Grove), order online, get in touch through Facebook, or call 866-MI-POLLO to enjoy our authentic Mexican dishes: amazing chicken grilled to perfection over real Mesquite charcoal, caldo de pollo, flan, carnitas, carne asada, and more!