It’s hard not to love guacamole. Versatile, delicious, and fresh, this spread has earned a place in the hearts of food lovers everywhere. Read on to discover four simple tips to make guacamole the Mexican way.
No Molcajete? No Problem!
Tradition dictates that the best way to prepare guacamole is by using a molcajete, a Mexican mortar and pestle made of stone. However, molcajetes are not easy to come by in other countries. If you don’t have a molcajete, a good alternative is to use a ceramic bowl and a fork to mash your avocados.
How to Avoid Oxidation
A common problem with guacamole is that it oxidizes, or turns brown, easily. Luckily, there are two simple ingredients that keep your guacamole green for longer. As you mash the avocados, add lime juice and a few drops of olive oil. Not only do they help avoid oxidation, but they also make your guacamole even more flavorful.
Experiment With Your Guacamole
Yes, guacamole is a traditional Mexican recipe but, as with most Mexican recipes, it’s far from being written in stone. Feel free to experiment and mix things up. For example, these are some ways Mexicans venture off the beaten guac path:
- Add milk or cream to make your guacamole denser.
- Place slices or cubes of fresh cheese on top of your guac.
- Add chopped mint to make your guacamole even fresher.
- Mango cubes add an unexpected touch and also keep your guac from turning brown.
More Tips and Facts About Mexican Food!
Interested in learning more about Mexican food? You are in the right place. At el Pollo Norteño we love authentic Mexican food, and part of our mission is sharing this knowledge with you. For example, these are some posts you may find useful to keep exploring this amazing landscape of flavors and stories:
- Salsa and Mexican Food: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Make a Great Chicken Quesadilla
- Tortilla, the Humble Star of Mexican Cuisine
- Mesquite, a Symbol of Mexican Culture
- Why Are Chili Peppers so Important in Mexican Cuisine?
- 3 Reasons to Love Chilaquiles
- Let’s Talk About Birria
El Pollo Norteño, Authentic Mexican Food!
If what you want is Authentic Mexican food (and great guacamole!) in California, El Pollo Norteño is the place to go.
Visit today any of our four locations (Anaheim, Santa Ana, and Garden Grove), order online, get in touch through Facebook, or call 866-MI-POLLO to enjoy our authentic Mexican dishes: amazing chicken grilled to perfection over real Mesquite charcoal, tacos, burritos, tortas, birria, flan, and more!