Today we weigh in on a heated debate: Are chilaquiles supposed to be crunchy? Read on to discover the delicious answer.
What Are Chilaquiles?
If you know us, you know that we love chilaquiles. In fact, we talked about this flavorful dish in a previous post. However, here’s a brief recap:
- Chilaquiles are tortilla pieces that are lightly fried and cooked in red or green salsa.
- Chilaquiles are among Mexico’s favorite breakfast foods, and are often served with eggs.
- They are also said to be a great hangover food.
Are Chilaquiles Supposed To Be Crunchy?
Now that we have covered the basics, we can attempt to answer the question: Are chilaquiles supposed to be crunchy.
Cookbooks and recipe websites describe how to prepare chilaquiles without mentioning the crunchiness factor.
If experts can’t provide an answer, then the only trustworthy source left is Mexicans themselves. We scoured at least four social media platforms looking for answers, only to discover that both options have loyal supporters who swear by their favorite style of chilaquiles.
The truth is that, as with many other aspects of Mexican food, the answer comes down to personal taste. In fact, it’s perfectly possible to prefer your chilaquiles crunchy for breakfast and soft if you are having them for dinner.
So, whether you prefer your chilaquiles crunchy or soft, don’t let anyone tell you that there’s a “right” way to eat or serve chilaquiles. Mexican cuisine is flexible like that—that’s what makes it so delicious.
More Facts About Mexican Food
We love all the curious facts that surround authentic Mexican food. If you are hungry for more stories, then check out these previous posts:
- Some fun facts about jalapenos
- Chicken and Mexican food: 5 curious facts
- Mexican Carne Asada is a way of life
- The amazing stories behind the names of Mexican food
- Mesquite, a symbol of Mexican culture
- Why Are chili peppers so important in Mexican cuisine
Enjoy Authentic Mexican Food at El Pollo Norteño
If what you want is Authentic Mexican food in Anaheim, California, El Pollo Norteño is the place to go.
Visit today any of our four locations (Anaheim, Santa Ana, and Garden Grove), order online, get in touch through Facebook, or call 866-MI-POLLO to enjoy our authentic Mexican dishes: amazing chicken grilled to perfection over real Mesquite charcoal, caldo de pollo, flan, carnitas, carne asada, and more!